Friday, October 11, 2013

Come, Learn How to Boston with Me

Hello all,

This is my fourth year in Boston but only my first since I graduated.  This means a variety of things.  First of all, I have much more time on my hands than I used to.  While I still work full time, now my nights and weekends are free, which hasn't been a thing in seven years.  It also means that I had to move from student housing and am no longer walking distance from where I need to be.  So, I now invest in monthly link passes, which means that I am able a travel a lot more (especially since I don't drive).  Oh, also, I'm now getting paid to work, which is a new and frightening change from my university days.


All my life, I've mostly lived inside my own head.  It's hard to explain, but a combination of social anxiety and arthritis-induced fatigue and pain have left me pretty isolated in a lot of ways.  It really hasn't been much of a problem; I'm naturally an introvert and would mostly prefer to be reading at home than doing anything else.  On the other hand, however, I've never really fully experience...anything, I guess.  I moved from a small town (technically, a village) in the midwest to one of the oldest and most culturally significant cities in the country, and in a lot of ways, it's like I never left home.

Now, however, that's going to change.  Remember my first paragraph?  While it may seem like extraneous exposition, it's essential to my plans.  For the first time in my life, I have time (sort of), means of transportation (if you count the T), and money (-ish).  So, I am going to do stuff.  Stuff that involves leaving my apartment.  Stuff that may or may not cost money (but probably the latter).  And I am going to finally experience what Boston and its environs have to offer.

So, let's Boston.  The sky's the limit. (And by "sky," I mean "subway/commuter rail routes.  Also, sometimes, I take the bus.)

No comments:

Post a Comment